Healthy Homemade Chinese-Style Curry

May 10, 2017

About a week ago, my boyfriend said he really wanted a Chinese takeaway but after the recent bank holiday weekend escapades, I said no. We had eaten far too many calories and saturated fat that weekend. Although I didn't regret it as we have been super healthy when it comes to food lately, I still didn't think we deserved it after being a little bit naughty that weekend. Chinese takeaways are certainly a comfort food, full of warm, gentle spices and flavours.

Chinese, Chinese curry, healthy, healthyfood

So to satisfy his craving, I made my own Chinese style chicken curry which is tonnes healthier and is just as tasty as the curry from your local Chinese. It is also so simple to make and uses ingredients I always have in the house. Plus it is super cheap in comparison to buying a takeaway!

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
Enough brown rice for two
Enough new potatoes for two
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 red onions
6 tablespoons sweetcorn
6 tablespoons peas
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed chillies
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons mild curry powder
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Recipe
First, begin cooking the rice. I use brown rice, which takes around 45 minutes to cook, just because it is better nutrient wise than white rice. But white rice would be totally fine, I personally wouldn't put the white rice on until the spices have been added to the chicken. 
Dice the chicken breasts and brown.
Once browned, add the diced onions and sliced peppers to the pan. 
Then add all the spices and combine well.
Place the diced new potatoes into a pan of boiling water and boil. Also cook your white rice now if you are cooking white rice rather than brown rice.
After around 10 minutes, add the peas and sweetcorn. I personally use frozen peas and sweetcorn for ease. Put half into the pan with the chicken and half into the pan with the rice and stir well.
Add the curry powder followed by the soy sauce and combine.
Finally, add the plain flour. You may not need 2 tablespoons as I used the flour in this recipe just to change the consistency of the sauce. I associate Chinese curry sauce being quite thick so I add plenty of flour.
Serve piping hot with your rice and new potatoes. Enjoy your Chinese take-in!

You Might Also Like

0 comments